Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean after Sicily and Sardinia. It is at the crossroads between Europe, Asia and Africa, and one of its roles is to build bridges between these continents. The island’s main economic activities are banking, tourism, craft exports and merchant shipping. Over the years, the economy has gradually developed into a modern one with dynamic services, industrial and agricultural sectors, and an advanced physical and social infrastructure. The capital of Cyprus is Nicosia (Lefkosia). The official languages of the Republic of Cyprus are Greek and Turkish. English is widely spoken.
Cyprus Higher Education System
At present, all universities in Cyprus are state universities, namely, the University of Cyprus, the Open University of Cyprus and the Cyprus University of Technology. Higher education in Cyprus is also provided by a number of State Higher Education Institutions, and an even greater number of Private Institutions of Higher Education, none of which has university status.
The government of Cyprus grants two types of scholarship for foreign students.
- Scholarships for short specialized courses
Special short-term courses of 2 to 8 weeks are organized by institutes in the fields of private business management or management of the public sector in a free market economy, and a number of scholarships are offered to citizens from selected countries to attend these short courses.
For example, the following programmes are available at:
- the Mediterranean Institute of Management (MIM)
- the Cyprus Academy of Public Administration
- the Cyprus International Institute of Management
- Scholarships for long term/academic courses
A limited number of scholarships are also offered for the following programmes:
- Post Graduate Management Diploma Programme (11 months) at the Mediterranean Institute of Management (MIM)
- Master in Business Administration (1 year) at the
- Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM)
- Several one-year programmes at the Higher Hotel Institute
Higher Hotel Institute, Cyprus
You may also apply for scholarships offered by specific higher educational institutions of Cyprus. The list of higher educational institutions of Cyprus is available on the website of the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus.